Find out what to do if:
- you can smell gas or think there's a gas leak
- you've had a power cut or gas outage
- you have any other kind of emergency
If you can smell gas or think there's a gas leak
Go outside, then call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999 to report a suspected gas leak. They'll advise you from there.
Stay safe by following this advice:
- open your doors and windows so the gas can escape
- don't smoke or use matches or cigarette lighters
- don't turn light switches or anything electrical on or off, including mobile phones
- don't go into confined spaces, such as small cellars or attics
- if you can, turn off your gas supply at the meter and leave it switched off until you're sure it's safe to turn it back on again
Don't go back inside until the National Gas Emergency Service have given you the all clear.
Power cuts and gas outages
There are some things to check first if you have:
If you’ve had a power cut
Call 105 to reach your local network operator. They should be able to tell you if there’s a problem in your area, and when it’ll be fixed.
If you’ve lost power to part of your home, or your local network operator says your area isn’t affected by a power cut, it’s likely you’ve got a tripped fuse.
If your gas has stopped working
You should contact a Gas Safe registered engineer if either:
- there’s an error message on your boiler
- you have more than one gas appliance but not all of them have stopped working - for example, if your boiler is working but your gas hob isn’t
You can find a local engineer on the Gas Safe Register.
If there’s no error message on your boiler, and all your gas appliances have stopped working, get in touch with your network operator - they’ll be able to tell you if there’s a gas outage in your area.
If there’s no outage in your area, and there’s nothing wrong with your boiler, get in touch and we’ll see if we can help.
Get in touch if you have any other kind of emergency
Getting in touch outside of working hours
If you email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on
- during the week after 6pm, we'll reply by 10am the next working day
- on weekends we'll reply to your message within two hours from 9am Monday morning